Life's Beauty

Life's Beauty

Monday 11 July 2011

Comfort

Why did we suck our thumb or dummy when we were younger?
Why did we have a blanket or a teddy or doll that we took absolutely everywhere?
Cause we want comfort, we want to feel safe.

At night when all the lights were turned off and the house was silent, and you had just seen a scary batman cartoon, we would snuggle up to that something special that made us feel safe, and when we didn’t have those things we couldn’t sleep. We just didn’t feel safe.
So sometimes you would crawl into your parent’s bed and snuggle up to them. Again, not because we were wussy, but because we wanted comfort, to feel safe.

But back then it was monsters under your bed and nightmares that we were afraid of.
Today it’s more the fear of robbers, kidnappers, serial killers, cars crashing into your house at night (it can happen) and even our own nightmares.
But we can’t crawl into our parents bed now, and certainly can’t start sucking your thumb, lol.
We have to be tough!

Maybe you’re lucky, and you have someone to cuddle up to at night, well some of us don’t, lol, maybe were too young or just haven’t found the right one, ether way it can get kinda lonely some nights.

But I have a teddy, Sally. :D
Haha yer yer I know, I’m 17, well watever! I don’t sleep with her anymore, she just sits on my bed now, but every now and then I do hock her under my arm at night, if I’m sad or worried about something.
And to be honest, she helps, she gives me that comfort that I need.
I do usually have a cat or two in my bed, but that’s not the same, the minute you move they yell at you! Haha.

It’s definitely human to want to feel safe, feel protected and like nothing is going to hurt you. And we do everything we can to feel that way; we lock our doors 24/7, check that the windows are closed at night…
But it’s just upsetting that we have to do this kinda stuff, to simply feel safe. Wouldn’t it be great to live in a world where you could walk down the street at night with no fear? Or be able to leave your windows or doors open, with no doubts?
I think so.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment